Ethiopia: Genale Dawa III completed

Issue 410 - 27 Feb 2020 | 1 minute read

Ethiopian Electric Power held a ceremony on 4 February on 4 Februaryto mark completion of the 254MW Genale Dawa III hydropower plant on the Dawa River in south-east Ethiopia. The plant was built by China Gezhouba Group over nine years at a total cost of $451m, of which 85% was financed through a loan from Export-Import Bank of China. The remaining 15% ($67.8m) was covered by the Ethiopian government. The plant is designed to produce 1640 GWh/yr once it starts commercial operation, which is expected no sooner than this May, according to Canadian engineering consultancy Stantec.

Tagged with:

Pin Power

Pin Ethiopia

Want to read more?

Subscribe to African Energy

View subscription options

Don't have an account?

Register for access to our free content

An account also allows you to view selected free articles, set up news alerts, search our African Energy Live Data power projects database and view project locations on our interactive map