Browse issue contents

Issue 407
-
Côte d’Ivoire in election mode

Ahead of Côte d’Ivoire’s October 2020 presidential election, the government is firmly focused on securing a win for President Alassane Dramane Ouattara’s Rassemblement des Houphouëtistes pour la Démocratie et la Paix (RHDP). For all the history-making import of the eco...

Côte d’Ivoire
Issue 407
-
Congo B: AAOG sale approved

Anglo African Oil & Gas (AAOG) shareholders voted on 13 January to approve the sale of 80% in AAOG Congo to London-listed Zenith Energy. Zenith also entered into a term sheet for a put and call option agreement over the remaining 20%, depending on the level of production...

Congo B
Issue 407
-
CFA franc to be replaced by eco, but initial change is largely symbolic

The move by the eight-member Union Economique et Monétaire Ouest Africaine (Uemoa) to end its 55-year-old currency union based on the French-guaranteed CFA franc will have a range of consequences for businesses and political relations. The new eco currency, whose creation was...

West Africa
Issue 407
-
Cape Verde: Prequalification begins for two 5MW solar plants

The Ministry of Industry, Trade and Energy is inviting expressions of interest from developers to design, finance, build, own, operate and maintain two 5MW solar PV projects near Santa Maria on Sal island and Salamansa on São Vicente island. The projects will be implemented...

Cape Verde
Issue 407
-
Cameroon: upOwa closes €2.5m solar funding round

Cameroon-based solar home system provider upOwa closed a €2.5m ($2.8m) series A2 funding round in December. The UK government-funded Renewable Energy Performance Platform (REPP) led the round alongside French family office Colam Impact. Existing investors also participated,...

Cameroon
Issue 407
-
Burkina Faso: Bids sought for installation of rural solar PV systems

The Burkinabè Rural Electrification Agency invites prequalification applications by 26 February for the design, financing, supply, construction, operation and maintenance of a series of decentralised solar PV systems across Burkina Faso. The contract will entail the...

Burkina Faso
Issue 407
-
Angola/Namibia: Maersk to drill three wells for Total

Total has awarded contracts to Maersk Drilling to use the 7th generation drillship Maersk Voyager for wells offshore Namibia and on Angola blocks 32 and 48. Maersk announced on 13 January that the campaign was expected to commence this month, with an estimated duration of 240...

Namibia, Angola
Issue 407
-
Angola: Government steps up action against dos Santos family

Angola has moved in recent weeks to take concrete legal action against the children of former president José Eduardo dos Santos over longstanding corruption allegations. José Filomeno dos Santos went on trial in December, accused of taking $500m out of the country in 2017...

Angola
Issue 407
-
Technological change a critical player in a decade of transition

As Africa enters the 2020s, issues of climate change and sustainability have gained greater urgency even if not everyone agrees on the way ahead. With desertification and water shortages affecting many regions, Africa has joined the stop-start transition away from a carbon-...

Africa

Pages